Close Menu
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
What's Hot

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

May 22, 2026

WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion

May 22, 2026

Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt

May 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials
  • WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion
  • Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt
  • Mike Santana faces Steve Maclin in grudge match for TNA world title, Cedric Alexander's challenger and more
  • Ken Jennings on the 'Jeopardy!' prep trick he swears by and the category that made even him sweat
  • Minnesota fraud suspect who jumped from building is arrested, FBI says
  • Scarlett Johansson, who earned $43 million in 2025, says life is a constant 'deficit' at home
  • Fever get warning from league over Caitlin Clark injury reporting
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Demo
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Home»News»Convicted child killer of Etan Patz must be retried by June deadline or walk free from custody: judge
News

Convicted child killer of Etan Patz must be retried by June deadline or walk free from custody: judge

nytimespostBy nytimespostOctober 19, 2025No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A man convicted eight years ago of killing the first missing child featured on a milk carton in 1979 must be retried by next June or be released, a federal judge said Friday, according to reports. 

Pedro Hernandez was convicted in 2017 of kidnapping and murdering Etan Patz, 6, who was on the way to his bus stop and sentenced to 25 years to life, but last July the sentence was overturned. 

On Thursday, New York Judge Colleen McMahon of Manhattan’s federal district court ruled that Hernandez must receive a third trial by June 1, or he’ll need to be released. 

Hernandez first trial ended in a hung jury. 

MENENDEZ BROTHERS’ BID FOR NEW TRIAL REJECTED AS KILLER SLAMS JUDGE’S DECISION AS ‘MENTAL GYMNASTICS’

Split of Pedro Hernandez in court and a missing poster for Etan Patz

Split of Pedro Hernandez in court and a missing poster for Etan Patz (Reuters/Louis Lanzano/Pool; Reuters/Defense attorney Alice Fontier/Handout  )

His lawyers had asked earlier this week for a date to be set for his release if prosecutors don’t retry him. 

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Hernandez’s conviction this summer based on the jury not getting a thorough enough explanation of its options, including that it could ignore Hernandez’s confessions. 

Five years before his conviction, Hernandez admitted to police that he lured Patz into the basement of the convenience store where he worked using soda. 

Prosecutors said Hernandez choked Etan, stuffed his body into a plastic garbage bag hidden inside a box, and took it out with the trash.

The appeals court found that the trial judge in 2017 gave “clearly wrong” and “manifestly prejudicial” instructions to the jury in response to a question about the suspect’s confessions to police.

During jury deliberations, the jury asked the judge whether, if it deemed invalid a confession Hernandez made before being advised of his Miranda rights to remain silent, it must also disregard a subsequent confession after those warnings were given.

Etan Patz missing poster

A poster with the writing of Pedro Hernandez is pictured in this undated evidence handout photo provided by defense attorney Alice Fontier. (Reuters/Defense attorney Alice Fontier/Handout)

MURDER OF ETAN PATZ, ONE OF FIRST MISSING CHILDREN ON MILK CARTONS, RAISES CONFESSION QUESTIONS AFTER REVERSAL

The judge told the jury no, but the appeals court said that answer was incorrect.

Hernandez, of Maple Shade, New Jersey, confessed soon after his brother-in-law told detectives the store clerk may have been a suspect, The New York Times reported. The relative claimed Hernandez told a prayer group decades earlier that he’d killed a child in New York.

His defense team had argued during his trial that he is a mentally unstable man with a low IQ who was unable to separate truth from fiction. 

Defense lawyers also pointed to a different man who was long the prime suspect — a convicted Pennsylvania child molester who made incriminating remarks about Etan’s case in the 1990s and who had dated a woman acquainted with the Patz family. He was never charged and denied killing the boy.

Etan Patz's father in court

Stanley Patz, Etan Patz’s father, at the Manhattan State Supreme Court following the sentencing of Pedro Hernandez, in New York City on April 18, 2017. (Reuters/Lucas Jackson)

Matthew Colangelo, a prosecutor in the office of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, said before McMahon’s ruling that prosecutors likely won’t know for three months whether they’ll seek a new trial. 

Prosecutors also plan to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the reversal of Hernandez’s conviction. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“It is not my job to read the tea leaves or make predictions or estimates about when or how the Supreme Court will act,” McMahon wrote. “The mandate — my marching orders — simply directs that I set an end date by which any trial must commence, and order Hernandez freed if a retrial does not commence by that date.”

child convicted custody deadline Etan federal courts free homicide Judge June killer Patz police and law enforcement retried trials us walk
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

May 22, 2026

Minnesota fraud suspect who jumped from building is arrested, FBI says

May 22, 2026

85-year-old ‘hero’ stops man posing as utility worker trying to kidnap woman, authorities say

May 22, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

The Latest News
  • Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials May 22, 2026
  • WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion May 22, 2026
  • Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt May 22, 2026
  • Mike Santana faces Steve Maclin in grudge match for TNA world title, Cedric Alexander's challenger and more May 22, 2026
  • Ken Jennings on the 'Jeopardy!' prep trick he swears by and the category that made even him sweat May 22, 2026
  • Minnesota fraud suspect who jumped from building is arrested, FBI says May 22, 2026
Economy News
News

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

By nytimespostMay 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! New York City police have ruled the…

WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion

May 22, 2026

Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt

May 22, 2026
Top Trending
News

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

By nytimespostMay 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! New York City police…

Sports

WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion

By nytimespostMay 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Kyle Busch will be…

Entertainment

Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt

By nytimespostMay 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Former Prince Andrew is…

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Advertisement
Demo
Demo
Top Posts

Baltimore police say officer shot and hospitalized, suspect shot in 'active shooter incident'

March 10, 2026

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025
Don't Miss
News

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

By nytimespostMay 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! New York City police have ruled the…

WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion

May 22, 2026

Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt

May 22, 2026

Mike Santana faces Steve Maclin in grudge match for TNA world title, Cedric Alexander's challenger and more

May 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo

NEW YORK TIMES POST

 

Categories
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Fashion
  • Food
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Nature
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the lifestyle news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a lifestyle site. Visit our main page for more demos.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@example.com
Contact: +1-320-0123-451

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Bakery owner found dead near lake shoreline as police launch homicide investigation: officials

May 22, 2026

WWE fans pay tribute to Kyle Busch, the one-time 24/7 champion

May 22, 2026

Former Prince Andrew faces widening misconduct probe as police launch witness hunt

May 22, 2026
Most Popular

Baltimore police say officer shot and hospitalized, suspect shot in 'active shooter incident'

March 10, 2026

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025
© 2026 NEW YORK TIMES POST. Designed by EREN.
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.