A drinking game ended in tragedy when a young man collapsed and died in front of his friends seconds after downing a beer.
The unidentified man was necking a litre of beer at the Regent Cha-am Beach Resort in Thailand when he gagged and fell to the floor.
Just moments later the young man, who was competing against work colleagues at the resort, died on the stage.
In a video of the fatal game held on Saturday a long line of men can be seen preparing to gulp down the beer.
The man, who is stood second from the right-side end of the line, raises his glass in a toast before bringing the receptacle to his lips.
He takes around half a minute to drink the beer, although the last seconds are clearly a struggle.
After holding up his glass in triumph for a few moments he keels forwards into the stage face first.
According to an unverified witness on Twitter, the man fell into a seizure and beer started coming out of his nose and mouth.
His colleague Chanokporn Techatawinwong told the Sun: “Nobody knows the actual cause of death yet and we didn’t know if he had any allergies or medical conditions.
”But the drinking challenge is never a good idea. The game is becoming popular in many bars and parties and I hope this tragic incident will never happen to anybody again.”
Somsak Laikabohk, of the provincial Disease Control Department, wouldn’t be drawn into speculation as to why the man had died.
“Yes, he immediately died after drinking alcohol, but there are so many possible contributing factors that we cannot even say that alcohol caused it right now,” he said.
“We have to see if the victim was allergic to anything, whether he had any underlying conditions or was drinking on an empty stomach and things like that.”
The young man’s body has been taken for an autopsy.
He is by no means the first person to die while playing a drinking game.
In 2016 Ed Farmer was found unconscious following a night out in Newcastle.
He had been on an initiation bar crawl on which students had their heads shaved before crawling into a garage to drink vodka from a pig’s head.
A post-mortem discovered he had five times the legal drink-drive limit of alcohol in his blood.