Brits have been warned to watch out for snakes this summer amid reports of a surfer collapsing after being bitten.
The unnamed woman was left vomiting uncontrollably when she was struck on the foot as she walked shoeless from Llangennith beach in South Wales.
She suffered two “pin prick” puncture wounds – and the injury soon became swollen an infected, authorities said.
She soon began to shake, vomit and eventually passed out.
She was later taken to hospital.
It was determined that she had been bitten by a “baby adder snake” after surfing.
The woman’s husband said: “It’s one of those things that has happened, but people are unaware of the impact venom can have on you.
“At the moment they are everywhere, there are a lot around. It’s just if you’re unfortunate enough to get in the way of one.
“The main thing is, if people do get bit, they need to urgently go to hospital.
“We don’t want to vilify the adders and for people to be scared to go there. We should be happy they are there.”
A coastguard spokesman said members of the public “need to be aware it’s the time of the season for snakes”, adding that they are most likely to be found in long grass.
The spokesman said: “One woman got bitten on the toe by a baby adder snake in Llangennith.
“It felt like pin pricks and she said she was okay, but within half an hour she was in hospital feeling really sick and passing out after suffering a massive reaction to it and was hospitalised.
“The best thing to do is stick to open areas and keep the children and dogs behind you rather than in front of you and to keep to public footpaths.
“People should not be scared of snakes, they are only sunbathing, they are a wild animal and not something to be frightened of – or attacked.”