Rapist hit woman's head with rock in 'most violent rape detective had ever seen'

0
23


A monster who repeatedly raped a stranger and struck her over the head with a rock has been jailed.

Luke Smith had been drinking alone on a night out when he saw the 19-year-old woman on her way home.

The 27-year-old repeatedly raped her after taking her to a secluded spot in the town of Hastings, East Sussex.

She was subjected to a horrendous ordeal by the labourer who hit her over the head with a rock.

One detective described the crime as “the most violent rape that I have ever investigated”.

The terrified victim managed to escape only after Smith eventually became distracted looking for his mobile phone.

The attack happened in the early hours of December 15 last year.

Detectives launched an investigation and managed to track Smith down within hours due to swift forensic analysis.

Smith’s DNA was found on a cord from his hoody.

Officers arrested him and raided a property and discovered a t-shirt, hoody jacket and jeans which had the victim’s blood on it.

Smith, of no fixed address, was charged with rape and was found guilty by a jury.

The case was heard at Hove Crown Court

 

He was sentenced at Hove Crown Court on Friday to 13 years in prison – with an extended licence period of six years.

Detective Inspector Ben Newman said: “We were told about this horrific attack early that morning and immediate enquiries identified the scene.

“Here our CSI team found a hoody cord which was sent for forensic analysis to a laboratory. Luke Smith’s DNA was found on the cord.

“In addition, Smith’s DNA was found on the victim’s bra. We also found Smith’s blood and the victim’s DNA on a sandstone rock close to the scene.

“I am so pleased that justice has been served for this brave young woman and that Smith has been taken off the streets.”

Detective Sergeant Steve Shimmons added: “This is the most violent rape that I have ever investigated.

“Smith initially lied to us about his involvement in this matter.

He has been sentenced to 13 years behind bars

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

“His account changed over time and he tried to suggest in court that he had consensual sex with the victim and did not attack her.

“The jury in this case saw through his lies and have rightly now convicted him of this terrible offence.

“I want to commend the courage of the victim in supporting our investigation and giving evidence in person at the trial, with specialist support measures and help through the Independent Sexual Violence Advisory Service.

“Her victim impact statement which she courageously read out in person at the sentencing, was very powerful and moving, setting out in no uncertain terms the effect this attack had on her.

“We hope that with support she will now be able to move on with her life.

“Stranger attacks of this type are very rare. We always carry out swift and thorough investigations of all reported sexual assaults and we are glad that justice has now been done for this young woman.”



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here