Close Menu
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
What's Hot

Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler

February 16, 2026

LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance

February 16, 2026

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler
  • LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance
  • Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U
  • Iran says US must 'prove they want to do a deal' on nuclear talks in Geneva
  • Burglary theory in missing Guthrie case 'ridiculously rare' says law enforcement source
  • Spencer Pratt faces harsh family opposition in LA mayoral bid despite growing community support
  • New Mexico mother accused of drowning newborn in portable toilet after giving birth
  • Anthony Edwards leads Team Stars, earns MVP in revamped NBA All-Star Game format
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Demo
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Home»News»MIT rejects Trump admin funding compact, citing free expression concerns
News

MIT rejects Trump admin funding compact, citing free expression concerns

nytimespostBy nytimespostOctober 11, 2025No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) became the first university to reject the Trump administration’s “Compact for Academic Excellence in Higher Education,” which would have given it preferential access to federal funding.

In a letter to Education Secretary Linda McMahon, MIT President Sally Kornbluth wrote that the university “cannot support the proposed approach” and cited concerns regarding free expression.

“The document also includes principles with which we disagree, including those that would restrict freedom of expression and our independence as an institution. And fundamentally, the premise of the document is inconsistent with our core belief that scientific funding should be based on scientific merit alone,” Kornbluth wrote.

CHRIS RUFO LAYS OUT REFORMS TO TRUMP ADMINISTRATION ON HOW TO ‘SAVE’ HIGHER EDUCATION

President Trump shown in a split image with MIT's campus

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) rejected a Trump administration proposal to trade campus reforms for funding benefits. (Cassandra Klos/Bloomberg via Getty Images; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Earlier this month, the White House asked nine universities to sign an agreement that would give them funding advantages in exchange for making reforms on campus. 

The nine universities that were offered the proposal are MIT, the University of Arizona, Brown University, Dartmouth College, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, the University of Virginia and Vanderbilt University, according to CBS News, which cited a White House official. So far, none of the other eight schools have responded to the proposal.

The document outlining the proposal was obtained by multiple outlets. It includes a list of requirements for institutions that sign onto the agreement, as well as the benefits they will receive in return.

MIT President Sally Kornbluth speaking at graduation

MIT President Sally Kornbluth speaks during commencement ceremonies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass., on May 30, 2024.  (Brian Snyder/File Photo/Reuters)

TRUMP SAYS ADMINISTRATION CLOSE TO FINALIZING FEDERAL FUNDING DEAL WITH HARVARD UNIVERSITY

“Institutions of higher education are free to develop models and values other than those below, if the institution elects to forego federal benefits,” the administration’s memo reads. The benefits include research funding, approval of student visas, “preferential treatment under the tax code” and access to student loans, grant programs and federal contracts.

The memo encouraged the universities to adopt the White House’s vision for America’s higher education, including commitments regarding free speech, women’s sports, tuition affordability and more. Specifically, it asks the universities to accept the U.S. government’s definition of gender and apply it to campus bathrooms, locker rooms and women’s sports teams.

MIT building

The Maclaurin Buildings on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) campus in Cambridge, Mass. on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023. (Mel Musto/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

It also asks colleges not to consider “sex, ethnicity, race, nationality, political views, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious associations, or proxies for any of those factors” in admissions and to require undergraduate applicants to take the SAT or ACT.

In the conclusion of her letter to McMahon, Kornbluth highlights “MIT’s record of service to the nation” and recalls that it helped develop a scientific partnership between the U.S. government and America’s research universities. Despite rejecting the proposal, Kornbluth vowed that MIT would continue to “believe in the power of this partnership to serve the nation.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rachel Wolf is a breaking news writer for Fox News Digital and FOX Business.

admin citing College compact concerns donald trump expression free funding MIT rejects Trump white house
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

February 16, 2026

Iran says US must 'prove they want to do a deal' on nuclear talks in Geneva

February 16, 2026

Burglary theory in missing Guthrie case 'ridiculously rare' says law enforcement source

February 16, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

The Latest News
  • Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler February 16, 2026
  • LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance February 16, 2026
  • Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U February 16, 2026
  • Iran says US must 'prove they want to do a deal' on nuclear talks in Geneva February 16, 2026
  • Burglary theory in missing Guthrie case 'ridiculously rare' says law enforcement source February 16, 2026
  • Spencer Pratt faces harsh family opposition in LA mayoral bid despite growing community support February 16, 2026
Economy News
Entertainment

Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler

By nytimespostFebruary 16, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Prince William has deliberately distanced himself from…

LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance

February 16, 2026

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

February 16, 2026
Top Trending
Entertainment

Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler

By nytimespostFebruary 16, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Prince William has deliberately…

Sports

LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance

By nytimespostFebruary 16, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! LeBron James wants to…

News

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

By nytimespostFebruary 16, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Texas Attorney General Ken…

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Advertisement
Demo
Demo
Top Posts

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025

Trans athlete wins USA Cycling women's event as female opponents protest and speak out

July 2, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler

By nytimespostFebruary 16, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Prince William has deliberately distanced himself from…

LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance

February 16, 2026

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

February 16, 2026

Iran says US must 'prove they want to do a deal' on nuclear talks in Geneva

February 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo

NEW YORK TIMES POST

 

Categories
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Fashion
  • Food
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Nature
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the lifestyle news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a lifestyle site. Visit our main page for more demos.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@example.com
Contact: +1-320-0123-451

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Prince William deliberately distanced himself from Prince Harry as he prepares for the throne: butler

February 16, 2026

LeBron James dodges retirement questions as he made record 22nd All-Star Game appearance

February 16, 2026

Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

February 16, 2026
Most Popular

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025
© 2026 NEW YORK TIMES POST. Designed by EREN.
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.