Elton John broke his silence over reports of Meghan and Prince Harry getting on a private jet four times in 11 days, writing he is “deeply distressed” by the criticism they have received. In a series of tweets and a post on Instagram, the Rocketman star revealed he has been the one lending the Duke and Duchess of Sussex his private jet to make sure they enjoyed a short break in complete privacy. Elton’s comments sparked a huge debate on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, on whether Harry and Meghan have been unfairly criticised for using the private jet.
Author Andrew Pierce began: “You keep going on about ‘Meghan’s outspoken’, she hasn’t said anything since she got married, she’s got on with bringing up her child.
“But her husband has repeatedly spoken out about the environment, and he is a five-star hypocrite. They are not above criticism royals, I’m afraid.”
American entrepreneur Julie Montagu hit back: “Absolutely they’re not, but I think that they really are trying to make a difference.
“We also have to have some type of empathy towards Elton John, he was incredibly close to Princess Diana.
“He is being a father figure to Prince Harry in one sense, and saying ‘I just want to protect the two of you’.”
READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: Why are royal fans angry at them?
Journalist Ash Sarkar argued: “That’s great but we are in the middle of a climate crisis.
“We’ve got 12 years to take action otherwise human life on this planet is doomed.”
Elton said he helped the couple because he feels a “profound sense of obligation” to protect Prince Harry, the youngest son of his dear friend, late Princess Diana.
The singer wrote on Twitter: “I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private stay at my home in Nice last week.
“I feel a profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana’s untimely death. After a hectic year continuing their hard work and dedication to charity, David and I wanted the young family to have a private holiday inside the safety and tranquility of our home.
The couple first took their firstborn, little Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor, to Ibiza, Spain, on August 6, a six-day break taken by the family to celebrate Meghan’s 38th birthday. They are believed to have stayed at a lavish resort where a week-long stay can cost as much as £20,000.
The Vista Alegre, a beautiful resort facing the sea, often hosts A-listers and music celebrities, including Sir Paul McCartney and DJ David Guetta, according to The Sun.
Following their Spanish holidays, the family-of-three was spotted on Wednesday as they were leaving a private jet landed in Nice. Just before they were entering the car which drove them to the destination, photographers spotted Meghan wearing a large hat and a white blazer carrying little Archie, followed by Prince Harry wearing a casual outfit completed with a cap.
They remained in France for three days, and they were spotted boarding once again a private jet on Saturday to return to the UK. The criticism over Meghan and Harry’s use of private jets come after the couple have become very outspoken about environmental issues within the past few months.
In July, they focused their social media campaign on the environment, following on Instagram only accounts of charities, people and associations fighting to tackle private change and raise awareness on its consequences.
Prince Harry is also believed to have delivered a speech at the end of July at Google Camp, an annual gathering taking place in Sicily where the guests discuss a series of topics, including the environment.