Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s PR guru blamed email problems for the bungled announcement of the royal baby’s birth, according to reports.
Sara Latham, who leads the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s communications team, reportedly said emails informing the media about Baby Sussex’s birth failed to send.
She said messages were were sent out at 1pm, however news organisations did not receive them until 2pm, reports state.
It is claimed the emails said Meghan had gone into labour at lunchtime, despite the fact she had already given birth.
Kensington Palace apologised for the miscommunication, blaming technical problems at Windsor for journalists receiving the statements either late or not at all, although some did receive the messages on time.
Meghan was whisked from Frogmore Cottage , in Windsor, to the Portland Hospital, in London, on Sunday night and gave birth at 5.26am on Monday.
However, the media were in the dark about the birth – and even failed to receive emails announcing that Meghan had gone into labour.
Ms Latham told the Daily Telegraph : “We sent emails which showed as sent at 1327, 1349, 1403.”
Sky News was the first outlet to run the story about Meghan going into labour, however royal press officers denied the reports when approached for comment, it is claimed.
However, within an hour a post was uploaded to the Duke and Duchess’s Instagram account, revealing Meghan had given birth to a boy.
The child, who was named Archie today, weighed 7lbs 3oz and is the Queen’s eight great-grandchild.
The monarch met the royal tot today in Windsor Castle, and was pictured with the child, alongside her husband the Duke of Edinburgh, Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland, and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.