Man booked in for routine procedure woke to find he was missing a testicle


Hospital bosses are investigating after a patient was booked in for a routine procedure – and woke to find he was missing a testicle.

The shocked 62-year-old was expecting a 30 minute operation to remove swelling from his right testicle.

He was referred to consultant urologist Ashutosh Jain of at Furness General Hospital, Cumbria. In April of this year Mr Jain took the man into theatre at after diagnosing him with a hydrocele – a swelling that occurs when fluid collects in the thin sheath surrounding a testicle.

The patient woke up after the procedure, which typically takes 30 minutes, to find a drain had been put in to remove more fluid. He claims the drain was never checked or emptied and 24 hours after the original procedure he was rushed back into theatre.
The blunder happened at Furness General Hospital, Cumbria


When he woke up, his right testicle had been removed. “I looked down and saw I was missing a testicle,” he said.

“I didn’t know what to say; I was just in shock. A consultant took me for an ultrasound and said ‘I’ve never seen such a bloody mess in my life’.”

Although patients can usually go home the same day as a hydrocele repair the unnamed man, from Barrow, stayed in hospital for 12 days.

He is still taking liquid morphine for the pain and has a large, painful lump where his right testicle was.

Mr Jain carried out the first procedure. He is one of three consultants in the department at the centre of a series of controversial clinical decisions in recent years. There is no suggestion the second doctor did anything wrong and the testicle had to be removed due to infection.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

The patient has now lodged a formal complaint to the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust. In July, the complaint was upgraded to a serious clinical incident. Hospital bosses have launched an investigation which is due to be completed by the end of October.

UHMBT medical director Shahedal Bari said: “We’ve spoken and apologised for the delay. We have confirmed that due to the thoroughness of the investigation that is taking place, it is still ongoing.

“We will keep him informed as to the progress of the investigation, and once completed we will share the report with him.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here