AN historic market has officially closed down after 54 years – but “disgusted” traders have refused to budge.
Nottingham’s Victoria Centre Market was supposed to have its last day of operation on Monday, March 31, according to the city council.
2
The historic site first opened in 1972, and once featured 138 traders across its two-floor market, as well as a 20 separate meat and fish stalls.
No more than 15 traders are now thought to be left in the once thriving market, and many intend to stay despite closure plans.
Two traders have legally challenged Nottingham City Council’s intention to close down the market, arguing they still have years left on their leases so cannot be kicked out without compensation.
Owner of hardware store Aladdin’s Cave, Stephen Taylor, told Nottinghamshire Live: “We still have 47 years on our lease and so the only way they can lawfully evict us is if we were to do something seriously wrong”.
“Of those of us left, nobody seems to be moving anything at the moment and some are determined to stay”.
He had hoped to maintain the business for his grandchildren to take over, after his late grandfather first signed the lease on the family store.
The council signed a 99-year-lease on the Victoria Centre Market site which is not due to expire until 2071.
M&S employees and electricians have been seen by traders walking around the markets in recent weeks.
This has sparked rumours that M&S may take on the remains of the Victoria Centre Market site.
Manager of store Tick King, David Bowey, says council officers have not denied these claims.
He added: “I love this market, I love the history of this market, and I don’t want to go.
After receiving an offer that covers just one ninth of the cost it would be to relocate, Mr Bowey said: “I just won’t go until I’ve had an offer that gives my business a chance of surviving, for now we’re here to stay”.
A Nottinghamshire City Council spokesperson confirmed last year there were plans to close the market due to the fact many traders failed to pay rent, and the council could no longer subsidise these private businesses.
Despite having outlined the March 31 deadline, the council admitted “some traders will remain in occupation beyond this deadline”.
“The council has previously presented traders with the option to run the market, but this was never taken up”.
2