The devastated sisters of a man left in a coma after an attack in a YMCA home say they have no idea if he will ever recover.
Wayne Pepper, 48, is in intensive care following the attack in Nottingham.
His sister Lisa Pepper, 47, said the future looks bleak for her brother.
The attack happened on Sunday, April 7, and a man has been charged with theft and grievous bodily harm with intent, Nottinghamshire Live reports.
Mother-of-three Miss Pepper said: “YMCA contacted us and said he has been involved in an incident where he was living and had been taken to hospital.
“I rang the hospital and they confirmed that he was in an induced coma at Queen’s Medical Centre and I went straight down there.
“He was squeezing my hand like he knew I was there but now there is nothing. It has got worse. I have tried to talk to him and he is just lifeless.”
Wayne’s family said he found himself homeless after his mother, Margaret Roberts, 52, died from a heart condition 14 years ago. He has been at the YMCA property in Radford for a number of years.
“I saw him a few weeks ago,” she added. “He had come to the cemetery on Mother’s Day. He was really close to my mum. He has been lost since she died and that is why he was living at the YMCA.
“He has not settled down and never found someone to spend his life with. He gets on with everyone and he has got no enemies. He would help anyone, that is why I can’t understand how it has come to this.
“Me and my sister Tina are worried he’s going to die. He’s being kept sedated until they actually know what is wrong.
“He’s still very poorly, we don’t know the extent of brain damage until he wakes up. He was on a breathing machine. They have taken his breathing tube out and he’s breathing on his own now.
“Will he be a vegetable? Will he know me? We don’t know until he wakes up.”
Miss Pepper said she was furious with the police as no-one had been out to see her, 10 days after the attack. Police have now visited Miss Pepper at the hospital.
Nick Clements, housing operations manager at Nottinghamshire YMCA, said: “We are hoping and praying that Wayne makes a full recovery, and we are doing everything in our power to support everyone affected by this tragic and unexpected incident.
“We take the safety of all residents very seriously and every individual is risk assessed prior to accessing our accommodation-based services.
“In addition to CCTV cameras being in operation at all sites, residents at all Nottinghamshire YMCA transitional properties have access to a landline phone in each house that directly links to the charity’s main hostel for 24-hour support when needed.
“Unlike the charity’s hostel accommodation which delivers intensive 24-hour support to residents – transitional houses serve as an intermediate stage between dependant hostel living and an individual re-entering their community.
“With this independence must come a degree of trust, and these homes have key workers who visit the properties multiple times a week to provide one-to-one support and guidance whilst respecting the resident’s privacy.
“An internal investigation is taking place and the charity is satisfied that all safeguarding protocols and measures were followed, and that YMCA staff responded quickly and effectively to the situation.
“We will continue to work with the police and support the families involved and pray that Wayne makes a full and speedy recovery.
A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman added: “Officers made lots of enquiries to trace the next of kin over a ten day period, but to no avail sadly.
“We have since spoken to both sisters at the hospital on Wednesday, April 17.
“A 28-year-old man has been charged with two offences following a report of an incident in Radford on Sunday, April 7.
“Jonathan Shutler, of Southey Street, Radford was charged with theft and grievous bodily harm with intent.”
He is due to appear at Nottingham Crown Court in May for the first hearing.