Boxing news: Canelo CAN'T overlook Jacobs for Golovkin trilogy bout – Malignaggi EXCLUSIVE

0
26


The pair go toe-to-toe at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday night with the burning desire of unifying the middleweight division.

Canelo puts both his WBA and WBC belts on the line while Jacobs brings his IBF title to the table in what promises to be the best fight of the year so far.

The Mexican signed the most lucrative deal in sport’s history when he put pen to paper on a £278million contract last year with streaming service DAZN.

And back in March his foe Gennady Golovkin followed in his footsteps by agreeing a six-fight deal with the broadcasters, paving the way for a blockbuster trilogy fight later this year.

But former two-weight world champion Paulie Malignaggi believes Canelo can’t look beyond Saturday night, where he is likely to be pushed all the way by the ‘Miracle Man.’

“A third rematch could potentially happen of course,” Malignaggi exclusively told Express Sport.

“But one thing we don’t want to do is overlook Jacobs.

“I think that’s a great fight and it will be a great spectacle to watch.

“Stylistically he [Jacobs] could cause him problems.

“If it’s the Jacobs we saw in the Golovkin fight, that would make things really interesting.”

Jacobs turned in his best career performance against Golovkin in March 2017, when he was defeated on the scorecards at Madison Square Garden.

“We’ll see what the future holds for Golovkin as well,” the Magic Man added.

“I think he got a very well deserved big contract.

“But you really don’t want to overlook Jacobs vs Canelo.”

Jacobs was diagnosed with a cancerous tumour in his spine back in 2011 and doctors told him he would never box again.

It would be a truly remarkable story if the 32-year-old could cap his inspirational return to boxing by becoming a unified world champion.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here