Close Menu
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
What's Hot

California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

February 22, 2026

High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports

February 22, 2026

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest

February 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping
  • High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports
  • Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest
  • Eileen Gu comments on Alysa Liu's historic gold medal
  • Kaillie Armbruster Humphries, Jasmine Jones secure bronze in two-woman bobsled for Team USA
  • Pima County sheriff warns in NBC interview DNA tech issues in Nancy Guthrie case may take ‘months’ to resolve
  • 'Sopranos' star Michael Imperioli weighs in on characters' political leanings: 'Probably Trump supporters'
  • FBI investigates criminal damage to federal ICE warehouse facility in Arizona
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Demo
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Home»World»Iran regime cuts nationwide internet access as protests claim 44 lives across major cities
World

Iran regime cuts nationwide internet access as protests claim 44 lives across major cities

nytimespostBy nytimespostJanuary 9, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran has been plunged into a nationwide internet blackout as anti-regime protests intensify, severely restricting communication across the country as demonstrations enter their second week and the death toll reaches 44, according to reports.

Live network data from NetBlocks showed internet traffic collapsing in the troubled nation on Thursday evening, shortly after calls circulated for mass protests at 8 p.m. local time.

Before news of the latest killings came in, President Donald Trump, in an interview with Hugh Hewitt on Thursday, once again warned the regime if they start killing people that “they will be hit very hard.” 

Asked by Hewitt if he had a message for the Iranian people, Trump said: You should feel strongly about freedom. There’s nothing like freedom. You’re brave people.”

PROTESTS SPREAD ACROSS IRAN AS REGIME THREATENS US FORCES AS ‘LEGITIMATE TARGETS’ AFTER TRUMP WARNING

The State Department’s Persian feed on X also restated his warning from his interview with Hugh Hewitt about the regime in Farsi. 

Ali Safavi, a member of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), told Fox News Digital that the internet shutdown began earlier in the day.

“Around 1 p.m. local time, the internet traffic dropped,” he said, adding that there were widespread reports “that the regime had cut off the internet.”

NetBlocks said the outage followed “a series of escalating digital censorship measures targeting protests across the country,” while the Associated Press reported that telephone lines were also cut in parts of Iran.

Safavi said the blackout coincided with violent confrontations in several regions.

Protesters hold signs during a demonstration in Iran.

Protesters hold signs during a demonstration in Iran amid ongoing unrest, according to images released by the Iranian opposition group National Council of Resistance of Iran. (NCRI )

“The internet was cut off in Lordegan, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari provinces as battles erupted,” he said.

He also pointed to unrest in Isfahan, Iran’s third-largest city with around 2.3 million residents, saying, “State radio and the TV station were set on fire by rebellious youth.”

As the communications blackout deepened, the confirmed death toll from the unrest rose sharply.

The NCRI reported on Thursday, Jan. 8, 2026, that at least 44 protesters had been killed by Iranian security forces since the uprising began.

IRAN’S KHAMENEI LASHES OUT AT PROTESTERS AS NATIONWIDE ANTI-REGIME UNREST GROWS

Protests in Iran intensify

Iranian demonstrations intensify for 12th day as demonstrators damaging government buildings across provinces. (The National Council of Resistance of Iran)

The group announced the names of 13 additional victims that day, describing them as “martyrs” of the nationwide uprising.

Seven of those newly identified were from Lordegan, including a woman and two teenagers. 

According to the NCRI, the victims were killed by the Revolutionary Guards and other security forces using live ammunition.

The protests were sparked in December by the collapse of Iran’s currency and soaring inflation, but they have since evolved into a broader movement demanding the overthrow of the Islamic Republic.

IRAN ON THE BRINK AS PROTESTERS MOVE TO TAKE TWO CITIES, APPEAL TO TRUMP

Iran protests

Iranian protesters try to take control of two cities in western Iran as nationwide unrest continues, with demonstrators chanting ‘Death to Khamenei’ in the streets. (Getty)

The unrest entered its 12th day with general strikes spreading across major commercial centers and street clashes intensifying, particularly in western Iran.

Safavi described the scale of the demonstrations as unprecedented.

“Millions of Iranians from north to south and east to west have been out in the streets until nighttime,” he said. 

“Over the past 12 days, more young people have laid down their lives to free Iran.”

In a statement shared on X, Reza Pahlavi wrote, “Millions of Iranians demanded their freedom tonight. In response, the regime in Iran has cut all lines of communication. It has shut down the Internet. It has cut landlines. It may even attempt to jam satellite signals.”

IRAN CRACKDOWN RATTLES MIDDLE EAST AS ANALYSTS WEIGH US OPTIONS SHORT OF MILITARY INTERVENTION

Flipped car in Iran amid protests

Iranian protests intensify for the 12th day with cars turned upside down. (The National Council of Resistance of Iran)

In Lordegan, security forces had reportedly killed eight protesters in a single day, while clashes also left a regime colonel and two Basij members dead.

Elsewhere, protesters torched government buildings in cities, including Lumar in Ilam province. Safavi said symbols of the state have been targeted nationwide.

“Statues have been destroyed and set on fire,”  Safavi said, noting that “the day before, buses were set alight in Mashhad and another torched.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Footage circulating online and cited by Reuters showed protesters in Mashhad ripping an Iranian flag in half amid chants against the leadership.

In Tehran, Safavi said demonstrators overturned a police car in Kaj Square, an affluent area near the Alborz Mountains, as crowds shouted, “Death to the oppressor!”

Emma Bussey is a breaking news writer for Fox News Digital. Before joining Fox, she worked at The Telegraph with the U.S. overnight team, across desks including foreign, politics, news, sport and culture. 

access cities claim cuts internet Iran lives major middle east nationwide protests regime world protests
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

Truck caught on camera plowing into famed Australian synagogue in alleged hate crime

February 21, 2026

Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

February 21, 2026

Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump weighs potential Iran strike decision

February 21, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

The Latest News
  • California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping February 22, 2026
  • High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports February 22, 2026
  • Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest February 22, 2026
  • Eileen Gu comments on Alysa Liu's historic gold medal February 22, 2026
  • Kaillie Armbruster Humphries, Jasmine Jones secure bronze in two-woman bobsled for Team USA February 22, 2026
  • Pima County sheriff warns in NBC interview DNA tech issues in Nancy Guthrie case may take ‘months’ to resolve February 22, 2026
Economy News
News

California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A Los Angeles-based sports reporter had a…

High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports

February 22, 2026

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest

February 22, 2026
Top Trending
News

California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A Los Angeles-based sports…

News

High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A Pennsylvania high school…

Entertainment

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Kate Middleton made her…

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Advertisement
Demo
Demo
Top Posts

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025

Trans athlete wins USA Cycling women's event as female opponents protest and speak out

July 2, 2025
Don't Miss
News

California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A Los Angeles-based sports reporter had a…

High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports

February 22, 2026

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest

February 22, 2026

Eileen Gu comments on Alysa Liu's historic gold medal

February 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo

NEW YORK TIMES POST

 

Categories
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Fashion
  • Food
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Nature
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the lifestyle news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a lifestyle site. Visit our main page for more demos.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@example.com
Contact: +1-320-0123-451

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

February 22, 2026

High school senior facing more than 300 felony charges in alleged sextortion scheme targeting minors: reports

February 22, 2026

Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since former Prince Andrew's arrest

February 22, 2026
Most Popular

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025
© 2026 NEW YORK TIMES POST. Designed by EREN.
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.