Close Menu
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
What's Hot

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

February 22, 2026

Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics

February 22, 2026

1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

February 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump
  • Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics
  • 1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says
  • ‘American Pickers’ star Mike Wolfe gets candid about Frank Fritz’s final years: ‘We loved each other’
  • Nazgul’s owners detail wolfdog’s escape before viral Olympic cross-country race cameo
  • Israeli Olympic bobsled captain doubles down on loyalty to country after broadcaster condemned his team for it
  • American women's hockey gold medalist talks coach's emotional moment as team won gold at Olympics
  • Some supplements may pose risks for people with diabetes, experts say
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Demo
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Home»News»Gilgo Beach suspect Rex Heuermann loses bid to toss DNA evidence at upcoming murder trial
News

Gilgo Beach suspect Rex Heuermann loses bid to toss DNA evidence at upcoming murder trial

nytimespostBy nytimespostSeptember 6, 2025No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann lost a long-shot bid to have damning DNA evidence thrown out Wednesday, after a New York judge ruled that prosecutors can use the evidence against him at trial in a decision police expect to impact far more cases.

Heuermann’s shocking arrest came more than a decade after the death of his last known alleged victim. At the time, he was a New York City architect who commuted daily from his home in the suburban village of Massapequa Park. Prosecutors have alleged he tortured and killed his victims in the basement while his wife and children took vacations. 

The sides had been tangling over the evidence since March, when the judge held a Frye hearing to determine whether the new type of DNA testing should be admissible. Heuermann’s attorney, Michael Brown, had questioned the validity of new testing on rootless hair samples, which he likened to “magic” and said had not been used in New York state before.

Prosecutors allege that the state-of-the-art technology linked hairs found on six of the seven murder victims to Heuermann. Brown said it’s “a little weird” that each of the bodies is linked to his client by just one hair apiece. The hairs themselves do not all belong to Heuermann. Some were linked to his wife and daughter — whom authorities do not believe were involved in the crimes but whose hairs were allegedly transferred to the victims by Heuermann.

KOHBERGER PROSECUTOR REVEALS CRUCIAL MOMENT: ‘EVERYTHING HINGED ON THAT ARGUMENT’

Rex Heuermann wearing a suit in court as two officers stand at his sides.

Alleged serial killer Rex A. Heuermann is escorted into Judge Tim Mazzei’s courtroom at Suffolk County Court in Riverhead for a Frye hearing in Riverhead, New York, on July 17, 2025. (James Carbone-Pool/Getty Images)

Judge Timothy Mazzei ruled that the new testing is accepted by the scientific community and therefore valid as evidence.

“This case was very aggressively and effectively litigated by both sides,” Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney told reporters after the hearing. “I think that the reason why we were able to prevail was one simple reason: The science was on our side.”

Tierney called it a “significant step” in forensic DNA analysis and said it looks at hundreds of thousands more points of data than traditional DNA testing, and he said the new method is already being rolled out to county cold case detectives, like any other new law enforcement technology.

FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X

“When you look at old cases that happened that have remained unsolved for whatever reason, one of the first things you do, whether it’s phone evidence, whether it’s DNA evidence, whether it’s anything else, you know, new technology [can] help us to gather more information,” he said.

Joseph Giacalone, a retired NYPD cold case investigator and a professor of criminal justice at Penn State Lehigh Valley, called the judge’s decision “awesome news.”

“This DNA is leading the way to closing more cases,” he told Fox News Digital. Although he expects an appeal if Heuermann is convicted.

REX HEUERMANN’S FAMILY KEPT GRUESOME PIECE OF EVIDENCE, SOURCE SAYS

Investigators use metal detectors to search a marsh for the remains of Shannan Gilbert

Crime scene investigators use metal detectors to search a marsh for the remains of Shannan Gilbert, Dec. 12, 2011 in Oak Beach, New York. Her disappearance led to the discovery of 11 bodies and kicked off the investigation into the so-called Gilgo Beach serial killings. (James Carbone/Newsday via AP, Pool, File)

The hearing:

Heuermann entered the courtroom at 9:54 a.m. wearing a black suit, blue shirt and a green tie, looming over his attorney as the judge rendered his decision.

His ex-wife, Asa Ellerup, who divorced him after the charges but has publicly maintained she doesn’t believe he could’ve committed the crimes, sat quietly in the gallery. Their daughter, Victoria Heuermann, did not attend Wednesday’s hearing.

Prosecutors said Heuermann killed seven women over a period of at least two decades, dumping most of their remains on a remote parkway near Long Island’s Gilgo Beach. Some victims were dismembered, with parts of their bodies recovered from wooded areas about 50 miles to the east.

EX-WIFE OF ALLEGED GILGO BEACH KILLER STILL DEFENDS HIM, BUT DAUGHTER SAYS HE ‘MOST LIKELY’ DID IT

Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect Rex Heurermann appears in court

Rex A. Heuermann appears in Judge Tim Mazzei’s courtroom with his lawyer Michael Brown for a conference in Riverhead, NY, on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024. (Newsday/James Carbone)

The oldest case in which he’s been charged was a cold case murder stretching back to 1993. The alleged crimes include torture and mutilation, and Heuermann allegedly took notes on the crimes, the targets and measures to avoid detection.

The victims were all described as “petite” women, most of them around 5 feet tall and barely over 100 pounds. An eyewitness in the case, who was the last to see one of them alive, described Heuermann, whose identity was unknown at the time, as an “ogre” driving a Chevrolet Avalanche.

SIGN UP TO GET THE TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER

Portraits of the Gilgo Four victims inset over a wide shot of the marsh behind Gilgo Beach where they were found

The Gilgo Four, clockwise from top left: Maureen Brainard-Barnes, Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. The background shows a wooden cross in the marsh next to Gilgo Beach, N.Y., where their remains were found in the brush just yards from Ocean Parkway. (Suffolk County Police Department/Mega for Fox News Digital)

On July 13, 2023, Suffolk County police arrested Heuermann, who is 61, outside his Manhattan office in three cold case murders — the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, 24, Megan Waterman, 22, and Amber Costello, 27, in 2010.

SUSPECTED SERIAL KILLER REX HEUERMANN CHARGED WITH SEVENTH SLAYING

Closeup portrait Photos of Jessica Taylor and Valerie Mack.

Jessica Taylor, left, and Valerie Mack, right, were both murdered and dismembered. Suffolk County police discovered partial remains of each victim in both Manorville, N.Y., and along a stretch of Ocean Parkway near Gilgo Beach. (Suffolk County Police Department/Handout)

Over the next 12 months, they tacked on charges in four additional slayings. First, they charged him with killing Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, whose remains were near the other three. They filed charges for the alleged murders of Jessica Taylor in 2003 and Sandra Costilla in 1993. Then they added charges in connection with the 2000 murder of Valerie Mack, a 24-year-old from Philadelphia.

Heuermann pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

But Tierney said his office has a lot of evidence prosecutors are ready to introduce at trial.

GET REAL-TIME UPDATES DIRECTLY ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB

“So we have now nuclear DNA, we have mitochondrial DNA, we have phone records, we have witness statements, we have financial records, we have internet searches, we have phone activity and we have other [evidence],” he told reporters. “When you look at the interaction of all of that evidence, it’s, we would submit, compelling.” 

Next up for Heuermann is a hearing on whether he should be tried on all of the cases together. His lawyer wants them split up, but Tierney said he believes they are all “intertwined” and should be tried at the same time.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

It was the disappearance of another woman that set off the whole case – and surprised the residents of Long Island, which includes the two easternmost boroughs of New York City and a pair of suburban counties.

In 2010, Shannan Gilbert placed a frantic and incoherent 911 call, begging for help and claiming someone was after her. The search for her went on for months — and before police found her remains, they found 10 other bodies along Ocean Parkway. Her death is the only one that police have said they believe was accidental.



beach bid DNA evidence Gilgo gilgo beach murders Heuermann homicide loses murder new york police and law enforcement Rex Suspect toss trial true crime upcoming us
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

February 22, 2026

Former FBI agent offers new theory about Nancy Guthrie's disappearance: 'Personal grievance'

February 22, 2026

What’s driving the increase in violent incidents involving transgender individuals? Expert weighs in

February 22, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

The Latest News
  • NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump February 22, 2026
  • Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics February 22, 2026
  • 1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says February 22, 2026
  • ‘American Pickers’ star Mike Wolfe gets candid about Frank Fritz’s final years: ‘We loved each other’ February 22, 2026
  • Nazgul’s owners detail wolfdog’s escape before viral Olympic cross-country race cameo February 22, 2026
  • Israeli Olympic bobsled captain doubles down on loyalty to country after broadcaster condemned his team for it February 22, 2026
Economy News
News

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A North Carolina college professor and State…

Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics

February 22, 2026

1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

February 22, 2026
Top Trending
News

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A North Carolina college…

Sports

Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Team USA men’s ice…

World

1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Ukrainian authorities detained a…

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Advertisement
Demo
Demo
Top Posts

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025

Trans athlete wins USA Cycling women's event as female opponents protest and speak out

July 2, 2025
Don't Miss
News

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

By nytimespostFebruary 22, 2026

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! A North Carolina college professor and State…

Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics

February 22, 2026

1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

February 22, 2026

‘American Pickers’ star Mike Wolfe gets candid about Frank Fritz’s final years: ‘We loved each other’

February 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Demo

NEW YORK TIMES POST

 

Categories
  • Business
  • Culture
  • Fashion
  • Food
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Nature
NEW YORK TIMES POST
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the lifestyle news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a lifestyle site. Visit our main page for more demos.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@example.com
Contact: +1-320-0123-451

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

NC college fires instructor who was running for office after rant on Charlie Kirk, Trump

February 22, 2026

Team USA men's hockey wins gold medal in overtime against Canada at Winter Olympics

February 22, 2026

1 dead, dozens injured in 'terrorist attack' in Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

February 22, 2026
Most Popular

Former Houston appointee claims flood-ravaged Camp Mystic is 'Whites-only' in viral video

July 6, 2025

Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order

July 1, 2025

Deadly social media trend threatens kids, homeowners defending themselves: 'children are going to get killed’

July 5, 2025
© 2026 NEW YORK TIMES POST. Designed by EREN.
  • News
  • Health
  • Lifetsyle
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.